Wednesday, May 30, 2007

wrecking lives

Seth Barnes' Cost-me-nothing post is worth saving and using in your philosophy of missions in your student ministry. This quote nailed me and challenged me towards our trip this year.

"Cost-me-nothing missions that don't bear the fruit of a more profound commitment in Jesus-followers are a sham and should be stricken from your schedule immediately. They are watering down the and undermining our overall missions effort as the Church of Jesus Christ.
My standard is that if a mission trip doesn't wreck the lives of at least half the group, then the leaders need to re-tool it next year and add back the missing ingredient of challenge . Tepid, easy trips probably do more harm than good, inoculating students to the real thing, leading them to a watering hole that's run dry."

Dare a pastor of student ministries pray that trips will "wreck the lives of at least half the group?"

0 comments: