Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mature student ministry pastors?

I was reading Scot McKnight's blog on Educating Youth Pastors this morning and found this comment from him,

"...it has frequently occurred to me that it takes more maturity to pastors junior highers and high schoolers than most adult groups. Why? A youth pastor has to render moral judgment and exercise discerning wisdom constantly — just ask one."

He makes an interesting point and I am wondering if anyone wants to chime in on this comment from their experience in a student ministry as a student or someone who serves in a student ministry as a leader or a pastor.

3 comments:

charlesdean2 said...

I wish when I was doing it I would have recognized the maturity that it took (that I didn't posess).

Chris said...

I've been doing student ministry for a couple of years now and it seems like across the board leadership and maturity must be at a high level. Students require much more guidance than many adults.

Dan Luebcke said...

ckd and chris,

thanks for adding your thoughts...

I've found that books on leadership have been more valuable to my development as a student ministry pastor than student ministry books.