Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Is small the new BIG?

Seth Godin just released his new book which I have yet to purchase, but the title has caught my attention, “small is the new big.” The first thing I think of is the church and whether or not that that statement is true. Are smaller churches the new big? In an age of church growth and youth ministries with 100,000 dollar budgets, could it be that smaller churches and smaller youth ministries are the new big? Could it be that small now has the advantage? What are the advantages to being small? Thoughts from those who are small and from those who are big?

Yeah, I’ll be buying this book! Here’s a riff from Seth Godin’s blog on small being the new big!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

small has it's advantages, i know every student and what their schedule and home life is like. I can realistically spend time one on one or in a small group with each of them every two weeks. And volunteer staff isn't overloaded with large groups of students. I love having a youth group of 25, but oh, for a budget over $300 dollars and the ability to plan a trip knowing enough students will sign up to make it a reality! I love the small group as a leader but think my students would love a bigger group. That's all, I could go on and on.

Dan Luebcke said...

Hey Jesse! Thanks for your thoughts from yonder in Wyoming! I agree with your advantages! I am hoping you'll be able to make our Winter Retreats in January and February! :) I am intrigued by your comment at the end, "I love the small group as a leader but think my students would love a bigger group."

I've never thought about it this way. Why do you think your students want a bigger group? Anyone else?