Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One little two little three little youth pastors

I just realized this week that we will have FIVE new youth pastors in our southwest connection of youth pastors this fall. Five of our churches have new guys! I am so excited to get to know the new guys that God has called to partner with me and the other brothers and sisters in this community.

Why is there so much transition in youth ministry? When is it time to go? How long should you stay before you know that it’s not a fit? I know there are definitely valid reasons to leave but how impressive is a resume of a youth pastor that’s been to four churches in 9 years? Thoughts? I'll post some thoughts later, but what are yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luebcke - I get pretty torn on this aspect of ministry. On the one hand you have a situation that is not so different than the rest of business - if you can keep someone for 3 years you are lucky these days. On the other hand I feel there are many places where young guys who aren't really sure what they want to do with their lives try this ministry thing for a while and when they realize its not all fun and games they try something else - kind of a rudderless ship. I realize that may be unfair, but I have seen it happening. In addition, there are situations where youth guys are trying to get to the bigger and better ministry instead of making their currently ministry "better" (I take out bigger because who should really care about the numbers). But you know, it is easy to be on the outside looking in. What I do know, Luebcke, is that you run your ministry with a professionalism, passion, love, concern, and purpose that I marvel at - I pray my kids get to experience something like that someday!

Dan Luebcke said...

B-stephens....nice take...thanks for your kind words...trust me, you know we have issues.

You raised two good thoughts. The first being, "a rudderless ship." For me this has to do with calling. I think more and more people are lacking a calling to student ministry. A deep sense that if they did anything else they would not be doing what they were created to do. Good thoughts.

Your second thought, "desiring a bigger and better instead of making their current ministry better." Great thought! I've found in several conversations that the problem here is pride. Many new youth workers come in and upset the apple cart and start doing things their way. You nailed a huge point. We must start with where the ministry is, and seek to make it better. Better for me is defined as doing what it takes to help a student become a faithful follower of Jesus Christ by developing within them a Great Commandment Heart and encouraging them to live a Great Commission life!
Thanks bro!