Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A letter from 1995

I met with an old friend from 1994. Mike came to our church as intern and then left for Florida. I caught up with him yesterday for lunch in Castle Rock. As we were walking in he handed me a letter I wrote to him in 1995! It was crazy to read the letter. We had a great time catching up and sharing what our passions in ministry are and how we are doing at saying “NO” to our ministries by choosing to do a few things and do them well.

Seeing that letter reminded me that I’ve got things in my life that I’ve kept to remind me of people, times and places. I still have the journal I wrote when I met my birth parents in the 1993. I still have the first letter I wrote Julie that moved our friendship into a dating relationship. More recently I have three rocks sitting on my desk that I collected at a retreat I was speaking at in Olympia with Seth. I spent part of my solitude on the beach praying for my three kids. Adah was in the womb. I remember God touching my heart in a special way about the privilege it is to be a father. I grabbed three rocks off the beach so I would never forget that time!

What do you have lying around and what's the story behind it?

0 comments: