Friday, July 21, 2006

6K on a 5 Year Old Birthday Party?

In light of having just thrown a jet party for my five-year-old son the headline on MSNBC caught my attention. This article details how kids birthday parties are not just a party for a few close friends, but turning into events for whole families. From renting ponies, magicians, food for 150 people and decorations that are specific to the party parents are spending thousands. Kids birthdays are starting to cost what a small wedding costs. Julie and I spend just over 6K for our wedding and I was cringing at that! That was a lot of cash!

I can’t even imagine what message this would have sent to Noah on Monday. I should have had United drop a plane on the street! This article highlights the reality that our kids are growing up in a culture where money gets you what you want at any age. Can you believe what some of these kids weddings are going to look like?

What if our kids marry a girl whose grown up having BIG MONEY birthdays and she gets to our rehearsal dinner at the church with better than average lasagna, pink lemonade out of a five gallon jug and Klondike bars for dessert? She’s going to flip!!!!! I can see her fidgeting thinking that she dropped 6K on the dress and all she’s getting is a Klondike bar! Hey, I’ll buy the Reese Peanut Butter Cup ones!!

I agree with this quote in the article, “Social psychologist Susan Newman, author of "Little Things Long Remembered: Making Your Children Feel Special Every Day," believes parents of young children are doing more of these extravagant parties as a way to impress their friends and validate their own self-worth.”

Amen!

0 comments: