Friday, July 14, 2006

Measurement Forces Us to Admit Failure

It's been good to be home for a couple of days as I have been catching up on my reading of blogs! I was reading this post on Seth Godin's blog and he made a statement that got me thinking, "...as soon as you measure, you need to admit you failed."

I want to be a part of a ministry that's always measuring and always looking at where we can improve. I don't want to put "the blinders on" to avoid feeling the pain of failure. I know in my ministry this Spring I have been doing a lot of measuring and I've found out I'm not as good as I thought I was and I am grateful for it!

I think this principle is invaluable in ministry, especially when leading a group of leaders. We need to be able to look at where we've failed and view it as an opportunity to grow into something better and not get discouraged. There's a lot of good stuff going on, but we can't just keep measuring what we're good at.

One of things we are doing in our ministry this year is taking a hard look at what a faithful follower of Jesus looks like and using it as our measuring stick. After about 100 glances in the last three months, I, and the rest of my team have a long way to go!

And you know what, that's not a problem!

0 comments: