Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Everlasting Tough Call

“Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that’s a tough call. That’s rebellion.”

- Alice Cooper

"We are called to an everlasting preoccupation with God."

- A.W. Tozer

I came across these quotes this week as I was preparing my message for Sunday out of Luke 10:38-42. I've been thinking all week about Jesus' words in part of verse 42,

"...but only one thing is needed."

I've been looking this week at the "What it takes to be a disciple list" I've created over the years and it's just that...A LIST! And everything is out of order.

I am wondering how I got here? Who gave me this list? Why do I have it? Who told me the order? How many things need to be on the list? How did things get out of order? And what scares me the most, if I am honest, if this list was in order of what I think is important (based on what I actually do), what Jesus praises Mary for is way down on the list,

"Mary...who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said."

This ONE THING, which should be at the top of the list, is the everlasting tough call of life.

3 comments:

Pat R said...

If you want my opinion, which you probably don't, get rid of the list. They're dangerous. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind and love your neighbor as yourself and you've got it covered.

Dan Luebcke said...

I love your opinion Pat. The tension for me is making the ONE THING the first thing and then letting the rest flow out of it. For example, I want my love for others to be a result of my loving God, sitting at the feet of Jesus, doing the one thing that is required. It's interesting to note that this is the story that directly follows the Good Samaritan!

We can't wait to have Frontroom with you!

Pat R said...

This is something I believe all of us struggle with. Don't be too hard on yourself. You've got a great heart and I love your passion for what you do and the people in your life.

See you soon!