Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Whatever YOU DO...The Fray Gets IT!

I came across a great article on The Fray, a local band, that is striking IT BIG with their debut album “How To Save a Life” on CT’s website. I found them in September 2005.

It’s a very insightful look into the bands faith in Jesus Christ, who they are as a band and why they write their songs. It’s a must read! One short section captured my heart and it’s what I want all of our high school students to say about their profession when they are living in this world as Christ-following adults using who they were made to be for God’s glory. I think the lead singer captures the essence of who our professional lives should point to.

Here is a short take from this article,

Slade says he used to "write all Christian lyrics" until he had an epiphany while working a shift at Starbucks: "None of my friends outside the church understood any of my songs; we had a different set of vocabulary," he says. "So I went home and threw away all those songs." He adds, "If I handed somebody a double grande mocha latte and told them, 'Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life,' they might throw it back on me.” Slade likens his job to any other. "If you're a painter, paint, but you don't have to have Jesus in every picture. Paint well, and if you paint well enough, they might ask you why you do that."

Colossians 4:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

“Whatever YOU DO…” I think The Fray gets it!

1 comments:

Trevor said...

Amen! This is key to our witness as followers of Christ. So often we are seen as unoriginal and just piggybacking off what others have already done better. If we use the gifts God has given us in a creative way we don't have to always mention his name to bring glory to him.