Monday, July 31, 2006

The first thing you should do to prepare for school

This past Sunday I had the privilege to teach on Nehemiah chapter one and I challenged our students to make prayer the first thing they do to prepare for the start of the school in less than four weeks. There are so many things to do: shopping for new clothes, new pencils and pens, folders, binders, etc... But what about our spiritual preparation? What are students doing to prepare themselves spiritually before school starts. Nehemiah models for us that prayer is a priority before we act!

It's interesting to note that other than the opening prayer this past Sunday I didn't stop and give the students time to pray. I talked a lot about it. We didn't do it. I was reminded this past Sunday that I needed to model what I was teaching. Sure teaching on it is fine, but how much more would our students received from God's Spirit had they been given time to just commune with Him?

1 comments:

Bethany Greene said...

Dan I think this was one of the most impacting Sundays of my life. I think the fact that we didn't pray helped to model what the real problem is anyway. It truley helped me shape my idea for what I want for this year, for God to be the absolute center. Thanks for teaching and letting God use you.